Where are my Totoro fans at? This one is for you!
If you have no idea what or who Totoro is..well, I don't know what to tell you. It's a classic Hayao Miyazaki film, which means it's kinda weird, devoid of most plot, yet enchanting and beautiful!
I've been planning this Totoro mug for months, and it wasn't until I saw my previous Sharpie Mug Tutorial linked on a Harry Potter subreddit page that I decided it was time to bust it out.
I'm going to take a moment here to share the amazing piece of mug art (is that a new niche?) that this person made. Harry Potter fans get ready to drool!
Isn't that amazing? Here's the link for the forum post.
I found this cute Totoro art by JoshikoseiSnak on DeviantArt and decided it was the perfect size for a coffee mug.
Cute, non? You can find it here.
Alright, let's get to it.
1. Print of the image you would like to use. Make sure it's the right size for the cup.
2. Cut out the image. Then cut out a piece of graphite paper the same size.
3. Place the image on top of the graphite paper and tape both to the mug where you want the image to appear.
4. Use a pencil or pen to trace over the image, press firmly.
5. Carefully remove the image and graphite paper. Your image should be traced onto the cup. Go over the image with a Sharpie pen. (If you mess up, which you probably will, have some rubbing alcohol on hand. You can use a Q-Tip to make any small corrections. I didn't have any rubbing alcohol and used Goof-Off to completely remove a soot sprite I was unhappy with.)
6. When you are finished tracing your image and adding any finishing touches, follow the instructions here to bake it. These instructions are for a dishwasher safe image, HOWEVER, I highly recommend hand washing only just to be safe.
7. Admire and brag! Also, share it here with me :)
The Totoros I traced from the image above, but the soot sprites are my own. Aren't they adorable?? The soot sprites have always been my favorite. (I secretly want a soot sprite tattoo, shh!)
Wouldn't this make a great gift for that Totoro lover in your life?
Parties I'm linking up at