This is a super simple 4th of July cake that anyone can whip together. It looks nice, it's patriotic, and it takes almost no time at all.
I have really fond memories of making this cake with my aunt at my grandparents house one summer when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure we only did it the one time, but it was so much fun and I thought it was so beautiful that it stuck with me!
I feel like this cake warrants no direction, the picture pretty much explains it all. However, here are some tips.
1. I use a box of white cake mix for this cake. Mostly because it's light and fluffy, perfect for a BBQ dessert.
2. Cut up the fruit and bake the cake the night before. The next day the cake is perfectly cooled for icing, and the fruit is ready to go.
3. Wash and pat dry all the fruit.
4. The icing is just full fat cool whip. Don't skimp on the fat, it stays together better than the fat free variety :)
5. Let your kids help! Even a toddler/preschooler can line things in a row. Unless you're really trying to impress someone, let them help. Who knows, maybe they'll cherish the memory and blog about it some day!